Crypted Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crypted Haven

A Harry Potter based RPG. JOIN US for classes and fun a like!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
We now have a chatroom. It is located at the very bottom of the page or at https://cryptedhaven.rpg-board.net/h1-chat
Classes are posted every two weeks, owl your teachers for any questions.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Rules

Rules Of Crypted Haven

1. When Creating a username make sure it is YOUR CHARACTERS NAME no numbers or symbols.
2. Be polite harassment will not be tolerated.
3. This site is not PG however please try to keep the adult themes to a minimum.
4. No God-Modding (controlling others' characters without their permission.)

Please remember the site is fairly new and things will be updated regularly and there may be some changes with the site.
Latest topics
» Year 3, Lesson 4
Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty11/11/2012, 8:28 pm by Drake Black

» Year 5, Lesson 4
Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty11/11/2012, 8:28 pm by Drake Black

» Dragonlore Lesson 4
Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty11/11/2012, 8:27 pm by Drake Black

» Year 1, Lesson 4
Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty11/11/2012, 8:26 pm by Ali Alcove

» Year 3, Lesson 4
Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty11/11/2012, 8:24 pm by Ali Alcove

» Year 5, Lesson 4
Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty11/11/2012, 8:22 pm by Ali Alcove

» Year 5, Lesson 4
Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty11/11/2012, 8:21 pm by Ali Alcove

» Year 3, Lesson 4
Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty11/11/2012, 8:20 pm by Ali Alcove

» Year 1, Lesson 4
Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty11/11/2012, 8:18 pm by Ali Alcove

HOUSE POINTS

Aer  

Ignis 

Terra  

Aqua 

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 63 on 7/3/2019, 7:54 am

Ancient Runes Lesson 1

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gwen Britefyre

Gwen Britefyre

Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty
PostSubject: Ancient Runes Lesson 1   Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty9/27/2012, 4:19 am

Whilst still shrouded in mystery, runic appears to be used frequently in the modern wizarding world. The runes themselves appear to be used principally as a stand-ins for letters of the Latin alphabet, as well as whole words (as logograms). For example, Dumbledore's copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, the name Albus Dumbledore was written entirely in runic, requiring translation before mass-production for the general public.

Attendance: please post you name, House and year.

Runic magic

In Hávamál, the runes are attributed with the power to bring that which is dead back to life. In this stanza, Odin recounts a spell:

Runic Spell:
Þat kann ek it tolfta,
ef ek sé á tré uppi
váfa virgilná,:
svá ek ríst ok í rúnum fák,
at sá gengr gumi
ok mælir við mik.

Translation:
I know a twelfth one if I see,
up in a tree,
a dangling corpse in a noose,
I can so carve and color the runes,
that the man walks
And talks with me.

The earliest runic inscriptions found on artifacts give the name of either the craftsman or the proprietor, or sometimes, remain a linguistic mystery. Due to this, it is possible that the early runes were not used so much as a simple writing system, but rather as magical signs to be used for charms. Although some say the runes were used for divination, there is no direct evidence to suggest they were ever used in this way. The name rune itself, taken to mean "secret, something hidden", seems to indicate that knowledge of the runes was originally considered esoteric, or restricted to an elite

Prophecy:

Haidzruno runu, falahak haidera, ginnarunaz. Arageu haeramalausz uti az. Weladaude, sa'z þat barutz. Uþarba spa.

I, master of the runes(?) conceal here runes of power. Incessantly (plagued by) maleficence, (doomed to) insidious death (is) he who breaks this (monument). I prophesy destruction / prophecy of destruction.

Homework: (due before next class)

Þat kann ek it tolfta, ef ek sé á tré uppi, váfa virgilná,:svá ek ríst ok í rúnum fák, at sá gengr gumi, ok mælir við mik.

Translate and send to me Via owl.
Back to top Go down
Cassiopeia De Bonaire

Cassiopeia De Bonaire

Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ancient Runes Lesson 1   Ancient Runes Lesson 1 Empty9/29/2012, 3:31 pm

Cass walked into Ancient runes, and immediately regretted it when she looked at the board. With a sigh she got to work. She only looked up to greet the professor.
Back to top Go down

Ancient Runes Lesson 1
Page 1 of 1